20 Apr 6 Things You Need to Know About Janell Geason
Janell Geason, Aveda Global Artistic Director, Makeup
We have the utmost pleasure of welcoming Janell Geason for a 2-hour educational makeup session on Tuesday, May 3rd from 10:00am-12:00pm. If you would like to attend and learn from the expert, please RSVP to email@example.com.
We tapped on Janell to find out what inspires her. Read below to get the inside scoop.
- WHAT IS YOUR IDEAL VACATION SPOT?
JANELL: Oh, somewhere in Italy along the Mediterranean Sea or Adriatic Sea in the Summer months. I used to live in Italy, right outside Rome. My husband is Italian so we love going back, I love the amazing landscape, wine, people and their love for the beautiful life and of course, the most important thing….the FOOD!
2. WHO DO YOU WATCH FOR INSPIRATION?
JANELL: Well, it depends on what I am pulling inspiration for. For color – I look at color trend forecasting companies. For makeup – I follow many makeup artists from Alex Box, one of my favs, to Pat McGrath and many more. For style I like Vogue Italy, Women’s Wear Daily, all FW Runways from London, to Paris, to NY. For photography – I love Paolo Roversi, Solve Sundsbo, among many other fabulous photographers I work with at Aveda and when doing my own work. For shows – I love Nick Knight. I also find inspiration from old movies, nature & culture and all the talented people I work with at Aveda. And I also look at social media and what is trending on it.
3. WHO ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?
JANELL: This sounds a little bit like my whole life is makeup … but I did just get this book: Face Paint: The Story of Makeup by Lisa Eldridge 🙂
4. WHICH AVEDA PRODUCT CAN YOU NOT LIVE WITHOUT?
JANELL: Beautifying Oil– I think it is liquid gold, I use it for everything- from my face, to cuticles to body! And as a makeup product- I love to press it into my cheekbones as natural highlighter!
5. WHAT MAKEUP PRODUCTS COULD WE FIND IN YOUR HANDBAG RIGHT NOW?
JANELL: If you were to take a peak in my bag, you would find basically find enough makeup to do a whole face if I am working! On my days off if I am running errands, I would only have a lip balm, NM Lip Treatment and Hand Relief– I hate the feeling of dry lips and dry hands!
So, since I am working- here is what you would find:
- Lip Gloss- I might have a problem, but I usually carry 2-3 shades. You will always find Pearl Rose- my current favorite and currently Mango Juice and Raspberry Tea
- Red lipstick – You never know where the day will take you so I have the option of a bright lip- Cana, Poppy or Wild Fuchsia
- Dual Foundation Powder- It’s the worst when you need it and don’t have it, I like to keep my makeup fresh during the day. 🙂
- Blush- Tessarae – goes with everything
- Mosscara Black Forest and of course my eye lash curler, currently Shiseido, can’t find my Shu Uemura one
- Concealer- just in case, I need a little pick me up under the eyes
6. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS IN THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY?
JANELL: Here are a few:
- “Don’t let people’s criticisms get to your heart or their compliments get to your head.”
- Be nice.
- Don’t take yourself to seriously, it’s just makeup.
For more of Janell’s amazing makeup collections and looks, visit her website: janellgeason.com