15 Jun Coming Soon: Wellness Classes
Yoga. Meditation. Nutrition.
At Aveda Madison we know how important it is to be balanced & centered– which is why we will be offering Wellness Classes designed to help us all make time for self-care & well being.
When: Starting this summer, we will offer weekly classes all year long
What: classes will focus on yoga, meditation, and nutrition
Where: Aveda Madison | 353 East Campus Mall
Unplug & Refocus
These days the new norm is phone-to-phone interaction, rather than face-to-face. Smart phones are not only useful, but are now a necessity in our everyday life. The problem occurs when we stop asking ourselves the question: “When do I put the phone down?”
In 2015, Bank of America released its annual Trends in Consumer Mobility Report, which studies consumers’ behavior toward their gadgets. The survey revealed that 71% said they usually sleep with or next to their mobile phone, and 35% said their smartphone is the first thing they reach for when they wake up– only 17% said they grab coffee as soon as they wake up.
Our lives revolve around phones & social media. When we don’t regularly take time to unplug, it can lead to heightened anxiety and an inability to: pay attention, problem solve, control our impulses, and make decisions.
Turning away from your phone can be a challenging task to accomplish. Tip: schedule out a designated time to spend off of your phone– this will especially help those who find themselves practically addicted to their phones.
Benefits of Meditation
1. Overcome stress (University of Massachusetts Medical School, 2003)
2. Boost your creativity (ScienceDaily, 2010)
3. Improve your sex life and increase your libido (The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 2009)
4. Cultivate healthy habits that lead to weight loss (Journal Emotion, 2007)
5. Improve digestion and lower blood pressure (Harvard Medical School)
6. Decrease your risk of heart attack (The Stroke Journal, 2009)
7. Help overcome anxiety, depression, anger and confusion (Psychosomatic Medicine, 2009)
8. Decrease perception of pain and improve cognitive processing (Wake Forest University School of Medicine, 2010)
9. Increase your focus and attention (University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2007)
10. Increase the size of your most important organ— your brain! (Harvard University Gazette, 2006)