25 Mar How can YOU save water?
The Power of One
With Earth Month just around the corner, I’m sure you’re hearing a lot about how the environment needs our help. It can seem intimidating at first, I mean, how much can one person impact a world filled with 7 billion people. Well, you would be surprised…
Here are a few easy tips on how YOU can help:
- It takes about 2 gallons of fresh water to generate each kilowatt/hour of traditional electricity. So turn it off if you’re not using it!
- Place ice cubes (tip: use leftover ice from drinks) under the moss or dirt of your potted plants to give your them a cool drink that won’t overflow or wastewater.
- Compost fruit + veggie peelings instead of using the garbage disposal. You’ll save gallons of water each time.
- Turn the water off when brushing your teeth. Save 4–10 gallons a day.
- Get wet, then turn off the water. Apply shampoo and give yourself a little scalp massage. Rinse and turn off the water again. Condition your hair and cleanse your skin. Rinse. Save 5–10 gallons a day.
- It takes 3x as much water to make a plastic water bottle as it does to fill it! Carry a refillable water bottle instead.
The numbers say it all…
One person following these steps will save:
1 day: 20 gallons
1 month: 600 gallons
1 year: 7,200 gallons
Try doing these simple water saving tips each day. The experts say it takes 30 day to turn an action into a habit–challenge yourself + make a goal to do these steps for one month. Imagine if 5 people did this, or 10, 30, 100, 1,000, etc. I only takes one person to start a revolution, and YOU can be that person.
Other Ways to Help
Helping to conserve water in your everyday life is so important. Want to go a step further?
Throughout the month of April, Aveda Institute Madison will be having tons of fun way to donate to the Alliance for the Great Lakes. With Lake Michigan in our back yard, this directly effects us. Stop in and ask us how!
Here’s some of the ways to donate In-Store:
Spin-to-Win Prize Wheel
AIM Trashion Show
Round-Up Your Payment
Donate & Get Rewarded